Here are the 10 most popular teaching tips that teachers use.
These are things that you can say to the child if he or she gets stuck on a word. You can tell the child that these are things that they can remember to do on their own, even when you aren’t there to help.
- “Get your mouth ready to make the first sound of the word.”
- “Use the pictures to look for clues.”
- “Stretch out the word and say each sound slowly out loud so you can hear yourself.”
- “Look for a chunk or a part that you know.”
- “Read the words you know in a snap!” (and then snap your fingers to emphasize ‘quick’).
- “Flip the vowel sounds from short to long, Remember, long vowels say their name.”
- “Skip the words you don’t know and come back to them later.”
- “Read carefully to the end of the word and look for an ending that you may know.”
- “Read the sentence again.”
- “Last… ask for help.”